Monday, September 14, 2009

Congrats???


How embarassing are Army luncheons? I mean really. First of all, I'm with my husband's parents.... the Question Asking King and Queen of the Century. The luncheon was for Kyle's 'Retention NCO of the Year' award. Now, he's had this award for a good 2 months, and from day 1 ma and pa knew about it. We've explained it to them thousands of times... apparently never fully getting it into their head. So we're at this luncheon... sitting at our table are a few other soldiers, I don't know them, Kyle doesn't know them... but apparently in Ma and Pa's eyes... we should know every single soldier on the entire base... NOT. Then the questions come in... 'Did you compete against this person?... NO' 'What's being served?... Don't know.' 'What does this symbol mean?... It's the unit patch' Good Lord.. be normal and sit there.. smile.. and ask questions later. Even more embarassing... Sgt. Kyle Hagen AND FAMILY please come up to accept the award... Really? He can't even have his moment by himself??? He won the award.. he deserves to recieve it by himself.... and then the pictures... 'smile.. over here.. smile again.. ' and to top it all off.. congratulatory hand shakes. Why must every officer in the Army find it necessary to shake my hand??? To tell me 'behind every good soldier is an even better spouse..' I call bullshit. I have nothing to do with the Army, how Kyle acts.. nothing. Well, ok, so I help him study for his boards, iron his uniform, give him haircuts according to Army regulations, and am competant enough to carry a conversation at these lovely events and luncheons. I really don't think I deserve a 'congratulations' for that... It wasn't me sitting in front of a bunch of high-ups being drilled with questions, heck, I was probably still in bed while it was going on!


So please, don't congratulate me (or his parents) when Kyle gets an award..everyone know's you're just lying.. you have no idea if I'm a terrible person at him.. maybe his parents abused him.. I know for darn sure they don't cut his hair, iron his shit, or quiz him on the regulations (though maybe if they did, they'd stop asking so many damn questions!!!)... just give the recognition to the one who deserves it. I really don't care for your fake smiles, fake attitudes.. fake anything! Another thing... when there's well over 100 soldiers in a room and only 7 or so family members (aka the ones not wearing a uniform that looks exactly the same), please refrain from saying "I want to thank all the spouses and family members that are here today, why don't you stand up" REALLY? You cant see me sitting here? I really don't feel like standing up and being stared at, it's a very uncomfortable situation, yet happens at every freaking event.... let's just put a stop to that nonsense. Thanks for your consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment